You are here: Orthoped » Physical Therapy Questions » chin splints

chin splints


I run 4 times a week on a tread mill and have been doing for the past 2 years. About 6 months ago I started with a chin splint on my left leg and even when I stop for a few weeks it just comes back when I start a again. It is really painful when I press on the area to the left of the bone and I sometimes get pins and needles in my foot.Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Previous articlesevers disease
Next articleReese Osteotomy Guide


  1. : : Yes. You can apply ice at night or after running, and a heating pad before running and/or in the morning. What’s happening is that the gastroc nemesis muscle which is attached to the bone for your chin area is tearing the outer layer of the bone upon impact of the foot abruptly coming in contact with the ground. This could affect you because of the shoes you are using, how you are running, or if you are flat footed. You can also take calcium and vitamin c supplements to help it heal quicker.

  2. I am a competetive gymnast and a runner. I have a lot of pain in my chins and I don’t know if there is anything I can do to stop it. My coach said you can wrap them but I don’t know how. If you have any advise it would be of very good help.thanktosh…I am 14

  3. Hello,I have suffered from long term chin splints. After 5 years in the Army, i ran every day never had a problem. Two years after i got out, which was 18 years ago, i have had chin splints till this day.By freak accident i met somone who had the same problem but was able to cure it.He told me not to give up and strecth my calfs as much as possible.Since which has been about two months, i have to say that by stretching each day i have relieved allot of pain and continue each day to strech those calfs!!! Good luck!

  4. Do an Internet search with the words “shin splints” and you will find tons of information and advice. If you are not getting better with rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medications (like advil 3x daily), you need to see either a physician, PT, or ATC for a specific exam and treatment options. You may need to get X-rays, and/or a Bone Scan to check for stress fractures. Let us know what happens.