You are here: Orthoped » Physical Therapy Questions » Doctor vs. Physical Therapist

Doctor vs. Physical Therapist


my doctor says i need surgery, my PT says i can do the stretches and it might get better. who to believe very confused, im not even sure what i have, my knee swells on the right side and the whole knee goes to about two grape fruits however it doesnt hurt but alot of pressure, it feels almost numbing, i plan on getting a second opinion form a orthopedist and then again on a thrid opinion any advice?or have a clue what i have?


  1. You’re best to see an ortho specialist and have a proper test done (such as MRI) to determine any soft tissue injuries. Then your Physical Therapist can plan exercises specific to your knee condition. Give it a try before considering surgery.The external assessment by a PT may not be precise sometimes.