gout or hallux rigidus

I occasionally have severe pain in my big toe on my left foot.
The pain is at the base of my toe, on the top side of my foot.
It is very sore to touch on the side (much like a bunion).
It is also very painful to walk.
I am unable to bend the toe up or down when this flairs up.
It usually appears when I have done some physical activity.
If I try to move my toe by holding it and moving it up and down, or side to side, I can feel movement between the joints.
My personal physician tells me it is most likely gout.
I feel like it is hallux rigidus.
It has never been x-rayed.
What does it sound like to you?

1 Comment found

    Vivian Abrams DPM

    9 10

    Without seeing it, I can’t say for sure. If you have have repeated gouty attacks in this joint, after a long time, you can have gouty arthritis. This does not occur with one or 2 attacks- it takes years for the deposits top build up. It may be likely that you have hallux limitus or rigidus. I recommend you see a podiatrist and have this x-rayed. You will have an answer quickly.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *